Where are the Unitarian Paths?

The great thing about being a UU is the freedom; the horrible thing about being a UU is the freedom.

Unitarian Universalism has developed satisfactory answers for certain ills. The moral and intellectual oppressiveness of hidebound religious dogma. The need for a continually renewing spiritual awareness and spiritual understanding. The importance of radical inclusiveness and human-centered values. A balance between the life of the intellect and the spirit.

And yet I find in the area of religious practice it is lacking in depth and structure. I do not feel a lack of theological grounding, but I do find a void on guidance for how to be a "practicing" UU.

Perhaps my keen awareness of this fact comes from my own Jewish background. In Judiasm, there is a prayer for every situation; a holiday for every season; a rich palette of rituals and practices interwoven with meaning. The grounding in literature, community, and spiritual practice is manifold and deep.

In Unitarian Universalism, I am not sure how to have an active or deep spiritual practice. The problem is not that there are no spiritual practices available, but rather that there are too many. I can pray if I want, I can pick and choose from a lengthy list of UU prayers and prayer books. I can engage in Zen Buddhism meditation. I can enter chalice circles, reading groups, discussion groups. I can participate in social action groups or attend a peace rally. But it seems that no matter what I do, it is based upon an individually constructed and chosen practice. My path will be entirely my own, the meaning I construct will be individual, almost secretive, and the accountability and motivation will be mine alone. Perhaps there is something lofty and idealistic about this individually constructed spirituality. But on the other hand, it can make you feel lost, without grounding, without a clear path forward.

I long for a clearer path of Unitarian Universalist committed practice. It is not so much that I wish to be told exactly what to do, but perhaps to be able to choose among a package of practices that have been worked out to be effective for people with similar theological orientation. An "order" of Unitarian Univeralism, for those of us who are serious about spiritual practice and having spirituality infuse our everyday existence.

Comments

James said…
I believe about forty percent of our practitioners identify as Unitarian Universalist, as do all three of our teachers. I understand this is not exactly what you're talking about, but perhaps interesting...

http://www.boundlesswayzen.org
jim.mcfarland said…
I agree. And, there is also not much in the way of Unitarian community spiritual practice, at least for the theistic members. Needing that is part of what led me to join a United Church of Christ congregation. It was the closest I could get to a UU type community, but which also has enough common ground among members to allow some spiritual practices in community and during worship services.
Louis Merlin said…
I do find a lot of common ground between UU and Zen Buddhist belief and practice. Certainly these are mutually compatible. But I would like to see the evolution of a uniquely UU approach to everyday practice.
kimc said…
When we were asked to develop some ideas about adult education for our church, my partner came up with the idea of having a few set curricula where the student goes through a set of classes that are somehow related and then gets a certificate in that "specialty". Maybe we could develop that idea into sets of spiritual practices.
And, of course, I am still dreaming of setting up a Chalistry (a UU monastery). One of the spiritual practices I picture the group doing daily is a laughing meditation.
Louis Merlin said…
Fascinating! Not long after I posted this, I found a uniquely UU program for helping UUs move along their own path of spiritual growth, known as the Wellspring program. I spent 3 years in this program, I highly recommend it for any UU individual or church!

http://uuwellspring.com/

Popular posts from this blog

The Idea of "White Supremacy Culture" is Offensive

Universalism and Color Translucency

Two Types of Community Conversations