Principle One: Renew the Contemplative Spirit

This is the first in a series of entries where I will try to elucidate a set of guiding spiritual principles. These principles are not meant to be universal, or timeless. These are merely a set of principles I have arrived at through introspection that seem appropriate to me at this time in my life. These principles are intended as a guide to make every day meaningful, every day stand on its own.

The first principle is to renew the Contemplative Spirit. What I am saying here is that we all have an inherent contemplative spirit, that allows us to look at the world with wonder and fascination. The essence of the contemplative spirit is that it is not trying to achieve anything. The contemplative spirit is like being in its purest form, with no goal outside itself. We all have it, we are given this spirit at birth and it is always available to us. But in our world it is often erased by the urgency of tasks, responsibilities, and the world of social appearance.

To renew the comtemplative spirit, I must let go of all that I must do and all that I wish to appear. I must come into the moment, and see the uniqueness of the moment. For me the contemplative spirit involves actual thought, actual contemplation. I am mulling some aspect of existence, perhaps something very mundane. Contemplation does not come about because I will it or because I try to do it, but incidently as a matter of grace. Contemplation comes to me of its own accord during those moments I am at peace, or when I am able to still my inner stirrings.

How you renew the contemplative spirit, I am not sure. It has something to do with attaining a more distant perspective. Or the contemplative spirit is renewed by seizing on some small object of beauty, a floating cloud. But at any rate, I maintain that the contemplative spirit is worth cultivating, that this is a valuable spiritual practice in itself and for itself. I think for me contemplation is a type of prayer, maybe the highest form of prayer. And of course the essence of it is its completeness - contemplation is not for any end beyond itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Idea of "White Supremacy Culture" is Offensive

Universalism and Color Translucency

Two Types of Community Conversations