Why "Atlanta?"

Why "Atlanta" Unitarian?

My identity is closely tied up with that of my native city.

We share a lot of characteristics. We're polite but ambitious. We have a great pride and a secret shame.

I feel like a lot of Atlanta's story is my story. The story of Jewish immigrants who were sent down south to avoid the crowding of New York. The story of racial division but visions of racial unity.

I feel a resonance with the natural world in Atlanta too. Large sprawling yards filled with yawning oak trees, messed with leaves and vines. A laziness in the humid summer breeze. Sweat on a child's back as he runs after a ball in the street. Powerful waves of rain, sudden and unexpected. A pleasantly warm and sunny December afternoon.

Much of my thought, my concern, and my identity spring from this city.

So this blog, I dedicate to my hometown.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Idea of "White Supremacy Culture" is Offensive

Universalism and Color Translucency

Two Types of Community Conversations